Receiving and renewing tax credits

Who can claim tax credits?

Tax credits are being replaced by Universal Credit. New claims for tax credits can now only be made by people who get the severe disability premium.

How soon will I know whether I am to receive tax credits?

The Tax Credit Office will try to provide notice of your entitlement to tax credits within three weeks of receiving your form. This will tell you when your first payment will be made and when subsequent payments will be made. If you do not qualify for tax credits you will be told why.

How are tax credits paid?

Tax credits are usually paid straight into your account using a system called Direct Payment. Your account can be with a bank, building society, National Savings and Investment or the post office. You cannot use children's accounts, mortgage accounts or business and building society accounts that use a passbook.

How much tax credit will I receive?

This depends on your circumstances and income. There is a tax credits calculator available to help you work out how much you could receive.

Who receives the tax credit payments?

You will need to nominate an account when you fill in the application form for tax credits. This can be your account, your partner's account or a joint account. It is also possible to use an account in someone else's name, although you will need to make sure that you get the payments from them.

How do I renew my tax credit application?

Each year you will be sent a renewal form. You must complete the form and return it by the stated deadline to make sure that your payments are up-to-date and continue into the next year. You must inform the Tax Credit Office of any changes since your previous application.

What happens if my circumstances change?

If any of your relevant circumstances change you must tell the Tax Credit Office immediately. You can do this by contacting the Tax Credit Helpline: 0345 300 3900. Changes that you must report include changes to your personal and financial circumstances, such as changes to address, bank account details, income changes and changes to your working hours.

Where can I get more information about tax credits?

More information about tax credits can be obtained from the HM Revenue and Customs website. You may also be interested in finding out more about Working Tax Credits, Child Tax Credits and knowing how to make a claim for tax credits.