Family Cash:
Financial information for UK families

Familycash provides advice on tax credits, benefits, saving money, obtaining bargains and discounts, investing for your children and accessing cheap education

Jobseeker's Allowance

If you are looking for work money is available from the government to help you financially until you get a job and receive a wage
What is Jobseeker's Allowance?

Jobseeker's Allowance is a benefit that is paid to people who are unemployed and looking for work.

Who qualifies for Jobseeker's Allowance?

To claim Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) you must be living in England, Wales or Scotland and be aged 18 or over and be below State Pension age. You must be unemployed or working less than 16 hours a week. JSA is not available for full-time students or for people under the age of 20 who are in education and their parents are receiving Child Benefit for them. If you are ineligible for JSA you may be able to claim Income Support.

How much is Jobseeker's Allowance?

The maximum weekly amounts that you are entitled to are as follows:

How do I claim Jobseeker's Allowance?

You can claim JSA online. However, if you are unable to claim online you can use the following telephone numbers to claim JSA:

Where can I get more information about Jobseeker's Allowance?

More information about JSA can be obtained from the Government information website or from your local Jobcentre Plus.