Housing Benefit

What is Housing Benefit?

Housing benefit is paid to people with low incomes to help them pay their rent. However, it is now being replaced with University Credit. New claims can be made only by those groups listed below.


Who can claim Housing Benefit?

Only the following people are now eligible to apply for Housing Benefit:

  • people who have reached state pension age;
  • those who are getting the severe disability premium;
  • people who have got a severe disability premium in the last month and are still eligible for it;
  • those who are in temporary accommodation;
  • those who are in sheltered or supported housing with special facilities such as alarms or wardens.

Couples can only claim Housing Benefit if both have reached state pension age or one person has reached State Pension age and started claiming Housing Benefit or Pension Credit (for the couple) before 15 May 2019.

How much is Housing Benefit?

This depends on a number of factors, such as the type and size of the property you rent, your personal and financial circumstances and the amount of rent charged. You can use the benefits adviser to get an estimate of how much you could receive.

How do I claim Housing Benefit?

You can claim Housing Benefit when you make a claim for Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support and Jobseeker's Allowance. If you are not claiming benefits you can obtain a Housing Benefit claim form from your local council.

Where can I find out more about Housing Benefit?

More information about Housing Benefit is available from the Government information website.