FE Maintenance Bursary

What is the FE Maintenance Bursary Scheme?

This scheme offers a means-tested discretionary bursary to help Scottish students from low income families who wish to study on a full-time further education course. If you are still at school you can apply for the Education Maintenance Allowance instead.

How much is the FE Maintenance Bursary?

Two bursaries are available and the amount that you will receive depends on your age and family income. The Age 18-24 Bursary provides a maximum bursary of £82.81 per week for students who are living with their parents and £104.65 for students who are living away from home or supporting themselves. Household incomes must be below £24,275. The Age 25+ Bursary provides a maximum bursary of £104.65 per week for those with a household income below £20,643.

Am I eligible to receive the FE Maintenance Bursary?

To be eligible to apply for financial assistance you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom and Islands for three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of the course.

  • You must be settled in the United Kingdom as described in the Immigration Act 1971.

  • You must be resident in Scotland on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

  • You must meet the course conditions. For example, bursaries are only available for students on full-time courses that lead to approved recognised qualifications up to, but not including, Higher National Certificates.

How do I apply for a bursary?

Applications for funding are made through the college to which you are applying. Contact the college Bursary Officer as soon as possible to find out what funds are available and to request an application form (some colleges will provide an application form automatically when you are offered a place).

Where can I find out more about the FE Maintenance Bursary?

Contact your college Bursary Officer direct for information about these bursaries. Comprehensive details about funding for further education can be obtained from Student Cash: A Directory of Learner Funding Sources.