Council Tax Reduction

What is Council Tax Reduction?

Council Tax Reduction replaced Council Tax Benefit in April 2013. It is a payment that is available to help people on low incomes to meet the cost of their Council Tax. It is available for people who rent and own their homes and those who are both in and out of work.

Who qualifies for Council Tax Reduction?

You may qualify for Council Tax Reduction if you have a low income and have savings of less than £16,000. Asylum seekers and people sponsored to be in the UK will not be eligible for Council Tax Reduction. Contact your local council to check your eligibility for Council Tax Reduction.

How much is Council Tax Reduction?

The amount of Reduction you will receive depends on your personal and financial circumstances. The highest amount that you could receive is 100% of your bill. People who are on benefits such as Universal Credit, Income Support and Jobseeker's Allowance may qualify for the full payment. You can use the benefits adviser to find out how much Council Tax Reduction you could receive.

How do I claim Council Tax Reduction?

You can claim Council Tax Reduction when you make a claim for Universal Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support and Jobseeker's Allowance. If you are not claiming benefits you can obtain a Council Tax Benefit claim form from your local council.

Where can I find more information about Council Tax Reduction?

You can obtain more information about Council Tax Reduction from the Government information website.