Child Tax Credit

What are child tax credits?

Child tax credits were available for people on low incomes who havechildren. However, they are being replaced by Universal Credit and are now only available for new claimants who get the severe disability premium or got it in the past month and are still eligible for it.

What financial help is available instead of child tax credits?

Universal Credit is available for people of working age with children who no longer qualify for child tax credits and pension credit is available for people who have reached state pension age who no longer qualify for child tax credits.

I am already claiming child tax credits. Can I continue to do so?

Yes, you can continue to claim your child tax credits in the usual way. However, if you stop your claim and then try to make a new claim, you will be unable to do so as child tax credits are being replaced by Universal Credit.

Where can I find more information about the Child Tax Credit?

More information about child tax credits can be obtained from the Government information website