Family Cash:
Financial information for UK families

Familycash provides advice on tax credits, benefits, saving money, obtaining bargains and discounts, investing for your children and accessing cheap education

Applying for tax credits

When you make a claim for tax credits it is important to do so early and make sure that you have all the information ready
How do I claim tax credits?

You will need to fill in a claim form, which can be obtained from the Tax Credit Helpline: 0345 300 3900. You only need to complete one claim form for both types of tax credit. You can also order a tax credit claim form online.

What information will I need to provide?

When you telephone the helpline you will need to provide the following:

Where can I get help to fill in the form?

If you are claiming other benefits such as Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance you can ask for help with the form from your Jobcentre Plus. If you are not claiming benefits you can get further advice from the Tax Credit Helpline: 0345 300 3900.


When should I apply for tax credits?

You should apply as soon as you think you qualify because payments will only be backdated for one month. However, you cannot claim Child Tax Credits until your baby has been born. If you are intending to start work and want to claim Working Tax Credits, you can make a claim up to seven days before your job starts.

Where can I find more information about tax credits?

More information about tax credits can be obtained from the Government information website. You may also be interested in finding out more about Working Tax Credits, Child Tax Credits and knowing how much you will receive.