Applying for tax credits

How do I apply for tax credits?

Tax credits are being replaced by Universal Credit. You can now only apply for tax credits if you get the severe disability premium or got it in the past month and are still eligible for it. If you meet the eligibility criteria you should call HM Revenue and Customs to make a new claim on 0345 300 3900 (telephone) or 0345 300 3909 (textphone).

What should I do if I don’t meet the eligibility criteria?

When you telephone the helpline you will need to provide the following:

  • Universal Credit is available for people of working age who no longer qualify for tax credits and pension credit is available for people who have reached state pension age who no longer qualify for tax credits.


I am already getting tax credits. How do I renew my application?

If you are already claiming tax credits you will receive a renewal pack in the post. You can renew your claim by filling in and posting the application form in your pack, or by using the online application process. You will need to inform HM Revenue and Customs of any changes that have taken place since your last claim.

Where can I find more information about tax credits?

More information about claiming tax credits can be obtained from the Government information website.